Minor in Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies (Autumn 2020 and beyond)
- 15 total credit hours, including prerequisite
- 1 prerequisite
- 4 electives
- 1 of these electives must be either a Women of Color or Global and Transnational Feminisms course
Prerequisite (1 course, 3 credit hours):
- WGSST 1110: Gender, Sex & Power | Offered every semester; GE
Electives (4 courses, 12 credit hours):
- Take any 4 courses in WGSS with some checkboxes along the way:
- 1 elective course must come from the list of approved Women of Color or Global and Transnational Feminisms courses
- 1 course must be at the 3000-level or above
- 1 course must be at the at 4000-level or above
- A maximum of 1 approved-related course may count towards the minor
- All cross-listed courses, regardless of department of offering, are automatically approved to count towards the minor.
- Minors may overlap up to 6 credit hours of GEs in addition to WGSST 1110
- No more than 3 credit hours of WGSS internship credit (WGSST 3191 and 3385) may be used toward to fulfill minor requirements
- No more than 3 credit hours of research credit (WGSST 5998) may be used to fulfill minor requirements.
- No more than one half (6 credits) of the credit hours in the minor can be transfer credit.
- Minimum C- required in all minor classes.
- No more than 3 credit hours of courses graded S/U.
- Unique circumstances may warrant a petition to the WGSS Undergraduate Studies Committee to alter requirements.
- Students may petition the WGSS Undergraduate Studies Committee to seek approved-related status for courses in other departments they feel are closely related to the curriculum goals of WGSS.
Key differences between the minor before and after AU20
Instead of requiring a Women of Color course, minors may now select a Women of Color or Global and Transnational Feminisms course, making the minor even easier to complete.
Minor in Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies (before Autumn 2020)
Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies undergraduate minors complete a 3-credit hour pre-requisite and 12 credit hours of required coursework.
- 3 credit hours must be at the 3000 level or above
- 3 credit hours must be at the 4000 level or above
- A minimum grade of C- in all courses used to fulfill minor requirements and a GPA of at least 2.0 for all minor courses must be maintained;
- No more than 3 credit hours of combined Special Topics (WGSST 2194, WGSST 3320, WGSST 4194), internship credit (WGSST 3191 and WGSST 3385), and/or Individual Studies (WGSS 5193) may be used to fulfill minor requirements.
- Minor courses may be used to meet curricular requirements, as specified in the General Education Curriculum (GE). Courses used in the minor CANNOT count towards the major.
Pre-requisite (3 credit hours)
WGSST 1110: Gender, Sex and Power
Core Course (3 credit hours)
At least ONE Women of Color course from the following list. This course does not count toward the nine credit hours of elective coursework.
- WGSST 2340 Latina Experience in the U.S.
- WGSST 2367.02 U.S. Latina Writers: Text and Context
- WGSST 2367.04 Black Women Writers: Text and Context
- WGSST 2702/2702H Modern Arabic Literature in Translation
- WGSST 2750(H) Natives and Newcomers: U.S. Immigration and Migration
- WGSST 3505 Feminist Perspectives on Globalization
- WGSST 4189.01S Reproductive Rights and Justice
- WGSST 4401 Asian American Women: Race, Sex and Representations
- WGSST 4402 Black Women: Representation, Politics and Power
- WGSST 4404 Regulating Bodies: Global Sexual Economies
- WGSST 4405 Race and Sexuality
- WGSST 4520 Women of Color & Social Activism
- WGSST 4540 Women of Color: Art, Literature and Culture
- WGSST 4560 Chicana Feminism
- WGSST 4576 Women and Visual Cultures in Latin America
- WGSST 4921 Intersections: Approaches to Race, Class and Sexuality
- WGSST 5623 African Women: History & Socioeconomic Change
- WGSST 5624 Women and Social Change in Latin America
Open Electives (9 credit hours)
The remaining 9 credit hours are selected from courses in Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies and/or approved- related courses. No more than 3 credit hours of approved-related courses can be chosen outside of Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies.
Note: "Topics in" and "Studies in" courses vary by semester and are not listed as approve-related courses. Students may petition the Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies undergraduate advisor for permission to apply an unlisted course to their minor program. Students must obtain written approval from the department before enrolling in the course.
*Students who are interested in double minors and/or declared under the quarter system should contact the WGSS academic advisor.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to .pdf files. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. PDF files require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader software to open them. If you do not have Reader, you may use the following link to Adobe to download it for free at: Adobe Acrobat Reader.