Areas of Expertise
- Queer Studies
- Transnational Feminism
- Post-soviet/socialist studies
- Critical Race Studies
- M.A., Institute for Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, Georgia State University (Atlanta, GA), 2017
- M.S., International Business and Economics, Kyiv National University of Economics (Ukraine), 2003
- B.S., International Business and Economics, Kyiv National University of Economics (Ukraine), 2002
Lesia Pagulich is a PhD student and Graduate Teaching Associate at the Department of Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies.
Her research interests lie in the field of post-soviet, decolonial, critical race and queer studies. During her Master’s program in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at Georgia State University, Lesia focused on the ongoing war in Ukraine and the concomitant rise of nationalism that significantly affect the situation of LGBTQ people in Ukraine. She examined the ways in which some LGBT groups promote particular subject-positions and (re)construct homonormativity and homonationalism in their attempts to claim sexual citizenship. Lesia is interested in continuing a research on plurality of imperialisms and systems of racialization in Ukraine and post-soviet region.
- 2019, forthcoming. "New Lovers...? as Patriots and Citizens: Thinking beyond Homonationalism and Promises of Freedom (the Ukrainian Case)." In Queering Paradigms VIII: Queer-Feminist Solidarity and the East.West Divide. Bern, Switzerland: Peter Lang UK. (in English)
- 2019, forthcoming. "(Re)thinking Postsocialism: Interview with Neda Atanasoski and Kalindi Vora" (co-authored with Tatsiana Shchurko). Feminist Critique: Breaking with Transition: Decolonial and Postcolonial Perspectives in Eastern Europe (special issue with Balkan Society for Theory and Practice). (in English)
- 2018. Book Review: "'European Others': Construction of Europeanness and Logics of Racialization." Feminist Critique: East European Journal of Feminist and Queer Studies 2. Available online. (in English)
- 2016. "Queering the Nation?: Intersectionality and Queer Politics." Political Critique/Krytyka Polityczna. Available online (in Ukrainian).
- 2014. "Protecting children of Ukraine: Attacks on sexual and reproductive rights in religious discourse and national legislative initiatives." Queer sexualities: policies and practices, pp. 112-120. (in Russian)
- 2013. "Protecting children of Ukraine: Attacks on sexual and reproductive rights in religious discourse and national legislative initiatives." Manifold Angles of Gender: conference materials, pp. 39-58. (in English)
- 2012. "Homophobic case #8711: manipulation with morality as political instrument." Krytyka Polityczna, issue 3 “Sex and Politics,” pp. 111-118. (in Ukrainian)
- 2012. "Attacks on sexual rights in the discourse of religious right groups and legislative initiatives." In: G.Yarmanova, ed. Gender, Religion, and Nationalism in Ukraine. Kyiv: Heinrich Böll Stiftung, pp. 59-93. (in Ukrainian)